[Equest-users] Including Solar Water Heaters and Boilers in eQUEST

Fred Betz fbetz at aeieng.com
Mon Feb 28 13:31:07 PST 2011

Anura,

I don't believe you can model a solar thermal collector in eQuest.

What I usually do is model the standard system in eQuest and get an hourly load profile. Then import that load profile into TRNSYS. The caveat with this is that you need to make sure the TRNSYS model doesn't affect the eQuest file improperly by overheating for example.

The alternative would be to create another boiler with a schedule that produces the anticipated amount of heat that the solar thermal collector would produce. You would still need something to inform that schedule, and I'm not sure if this would be accepted by LEED or equivalent.

Good luck,

Fred

Fred Betz  PhD., LEED AP
Sustainable Systems Analyst

AEI | AFFILIATED ENGINEERS, INC.
5802 Research Park Blvd. | Madison, WI  53719

P: 608.236.1175 | F: 608.238.2614
fbetz at aeieng.com<mailto:fbetz at aeieng.com>  |  www.aeieng.com<http://www.aeieng.com/>