[Equest-users] Missing Help References; Commercial Tax Incentives; Air Side Mechanical questions

Chris Cadwell ccadwell.renewtech at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 10:56:36 PST 2011

Hey guys thanks for all the informative posts of the last two weeks.

I am new to this EQuest program but not new to energy modeling of mechanical
systems and building shells, etc.

The help files in the program seems to have gaps. Even though it lists a
reference on the help button of the detailed input (at that screen); then
the reference is not in my help files.

I am looking for some direction on basic references for this program that
are not otherwise part of the download packet or default help files. Can
anyone help me here. I would like to procure those references so that I can
use them in looking up how to go about some of this stuff. If anyone could
refer me to anything. Also does anyone know of any tutorials available on
this or related program?

I am looking at this program from the perspective of modeling savings on a
retrofit project for a professional office building. I have a client who is
looking to capture 179 deductions on commercial tax incentives. If anyone
has experience at retrofit modeling with this program and in particular with
the tax deductions please drop me a line for a brief interview and I would
be happy to email a Starbucks card, unless you live in Las Vegas and want to
get together.

Here is a question that I have specific the detailed input on air side Dx
systems. On the outdoor fan it has a dropdown for intermittent or
continuous. Does this assume that the fan control is independent of the
compressor? If not I am not sure why there would be a choice for this. I
have not seen this except for on refrigeration equipment. So do I enter
continuous if it is always on when the compressor is on, and is off when the
compressor is off? Or is that intermittent?

Also on the “cooling electric input ratio” does this assume it is the
compressor watts to btuh ratio, without consideration of the outdoor fans or
indoor fans?

Thank you for the time.

--
Christopher Cadwell
Building Energy Performance Trainer and Writer