[Equest-users] Annoying "dot painting" during Custom Zoning

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Tue Jan 11 15:13:33 PST 2011

Hi John,

If you mean the way the drawn shapes seem to quickly disappear/reappear
(white background) a single time when making a shape/vertex... I guess
I've never found that terribly annoying, but perhaps I've got an unusual
tolerance growing up watching epilepsy-inducing television?

On a serious note - you can definitely reduce any actual eyestrain from
this 'feature' and in general computer use by lowering the brightness on
your computer screen.  I've read quite a bit into the subject (my MS
thesis was related), and the relative level of ambient light incident
from other surfaces in your field of vision while working on the
computer is pretty important, especially for those of us who might
intuitively crank the brightness/contrast way up on our
televisions/computer monitors to maximize the "punch" of image colors or
try to make up for lost eyesight over the years.

For less eyestrain, try out the following:

1.       open up something with a white background (the email you're
reading right now will be okay) and try to fill the screen with the
white source.

2.       hold up a sheet of white paper next to your screen under
ordinary working lighting conditions,

3.       lower your screen brightness until the white area on the screen
surface is (subjectively) delivering about as much light in your eyes as
is reflected from the piece of paper

4.       Optionally: if you work in a dim environment and/or have
shadowy dark surfaces around your monitor and/or simply can't lower your
screen brightness that much - consider some task lighting to add some
light to the surfaces around/behind your screen

5.       make adjustments to eliminate any direct reflections from light
sources, especially if you have a glossy (specular) monitor surface

6.       Optionally: if you've got a workspace with lots of daylight
(congrats on the corner office, you dog!), try to position your
furniture in a fashion so daylight from the outside world isn't in your
field of vision while working on your computer, again avoiding any
direct reflections

These measures may or may not reduce the "annoyance factor" depending on
whether it's really an eyestrain issue or you simply have OCD  =).  Note
that changing settings like this can take a little getting used to -
just like a pair of new shoes - but rest assured your eyes will thank
you in the long run!

If your "dot-painting" problem is more like a constant-refreshing,
that's something I don't think I've seen in any recent projects - you
might try reducing the size of the zone definition window on your screen
or perhaps an uninstall and clean reinstall of eQuest to see if that
alleviates the issue...

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER