[Equest-users] Advanced Level Equest Classes

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Wed Jan 12 10:01:08 PST 2011

I've been in discussions with those who make a business of eQuest/DOE2
instruction regarding this issue... I think a major reason we don't see
many 'advanced' classes is: it would be very hard to develop a
rubric/syllabus for an 'advanced' group of learners as it would seem
there aren't many 'advanced' topics that aren't extremely
system/project-specific (therefore seemingly of little interest to a
group of learners at large).

One exception that comes to mind that would probably be of common
interest might be the evaluation and creation of chiller & heatpump
performance curves - that skillset is frankly tough to self-learn (it
took me a long while and multiple projects)...

As an aside:  I might also cite a real-world experience where a local
rep for Carrier hosted an event that included discussion/instruction for
a single, narrow 'advanced' eQuest topic: geothermal well-field design
using eQuest/DOE2.  The room was packed*!  I hope more equipment reps in
time will recognize the value and potential draw when advanced eQuest
topic instruction is offered, even if only for a very narrow sort of
system/topic.

If you really would like formal, 'advanced' instruction, you might be
best-advised to come up with a list of topics you want
instruction/guidance on (make your own personal rubric), and share that
list either publicly on the lists or directly with those who offer
training services - you may be able to then filter out who is able and
is willing to teach you some or all of your desired instruction
individually, and at what cost.

~Nick

* I would be remiss to not mention Anthony Hardman (frequent contributor
to these lists) provided that instruction, and it was excellent.

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER

Smith & Boucher Engineers

25501 west valley parkway