[Equest-users] warehouse supplemental supply fans

Will Mak wmak at epsteinglobal.com
Mon Jan 24 11:48:11 PST 2011

Bill,

Thanks for the feedback.

I am attempting to model the fans by adding the additional CFM to the makeup air unit systems. I am trying to use a schedule to modulate the total CFM available during different times of the year (hence my previous question about this before). The more I am thinking about this though, the more I believe that it's not the correct method to model the fans. The makeup air units and the supply fans have different fan powers associated with them. By adding the CFM to the makeup air units, I am associating the wrong fan power and generating the wrong energy usage from the fans.

I tried using the minimum flow schedule strategy at the zone level to vary the flow of the system supply fan. However, it only controls the minimum a space can supply, not the max which is what I'm trying to control.

These fans are called "supply fans" because they bringing in extra air to meet the minimum air change requirements during summer operation months called out in the specs. They bringing in a 100% OA as they are hooded roof type fans. The make up air units are interlocked with these fans and both operate at the same time. The warehouse area is a heating only condition. Therefore, during the summer, there is no conditioning on the air brought in by the make up units and supply fans. Could the fans be modeled as a process load with these criteria?

Appreciate all the help!

William Mak, LEED Green Associate
Mechanical Design Engineer

EPSTEIN
Architecture
Interiors
Engineering
Construction

600 West Fulton Street
Chicago, Illinois 60661-1259

D: (312) 429-8116
F: (312) 559-1217
E: wmak at epsteinglobal.com
W: www.epsteinglobal.com <http://www.epsteinglobal.com/>

þ Epstein is a firm believer in sustainability. We ask that you please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.