[Equest-users] pool heating baseline system

Edward Allen eallen at long.com
Tue Jan 25 23:40:10 PST 2011

It's unfortunate that I've caught onto this discussion late, as it is right in the middle of a current tax rebate modeling project I'm working on.

My query (more of a confirmation really) is how are you all handling the latent load from the pool?  I've input it as a process load, 100% latent.

How do you account for the thermal mass of the pool water?  Latent heat is handled above.  What about sensible effects?  I've entered the pool water in the "Contents" tab covering 80% of the floor area with 500 lb/ft2.

Also, what is the group's read on the space conditions to be maintained in the proposed vs. budget cases?  I've modeled them identical in both:  85 deg F, 55% RH per ASHRAE recommendations.  It doesn't show up on any building meters, so wouldn't be double counted as service water as discussed below and misc equip.

Finally, what system is appropriate for the budget case model?  I've just let the compliance tool select the system, and it chose PIU - the same as the none pool zones in the building.

Thanks,
Edward M. Allen, PE, CEM
LONG Energy Solutions
Technology for Better Buildings
775.657.9180 office  720.217.1356 mobile  775.657.9180 fax
eallen at long.com
        http://www.long.com<http://www.long.com/>