[Equest-users] What's in an Air Wall?

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Wed Jan 26 18:09:10 PST 2011

I think the “disparate-zone-instability” concern goes away because the “gyp equivalent” air constructions will only permit a finite amount of heat transfer each hour, and this transfer rate/direction is based directly upon the hourly conditioned temperature difference (as calculated from the previous hour), not directly from the amount of internal heat loads generated in the present hour to be handled by the associated systems.

Replacing air constructions (which use the U-factor input method) with a frame partition or similar (layer method) will only fundamentally add mass/thermal-lag to the equation (and will likely have a higher R-factor).  I suppose adding mass to the partitions would be a mitigating remedy if you did have crazy swings of this nature causing “instability” with regard to temperature throttling setpoints, but again I don’t think in the course of a normal model one would encounter this problem.  You’d have to almost be trying to create the problem – i.e. making a an air partition with a monstrous area or re-defining the u-factor of the air construction to be 9999 instead of 2.7 between two disparate spaces…

Kudos again to everyone helping me keep my head on straight =)!

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER

Smith & Boucher Engineers