[Equest-users] Converting Heat Pump COP to EIR

John T. Forester JohnTF at BVHis.com
Mon Jan 3 10:18:06 PST 2011

Hi Kathryn,

The document that Pasha included in her email will work if your heat pumps are terminal heat pumps (System 2) and are rated using the ARI 240/260 rating method.  However, if you are modeling packaged rooftop heat pumps (System 4), these heat pumps follow a different rating method, ARI 340/360.   I haven’t reviewed this in detail but my guess is that the fan power is a little different than the 240/260 method.

If you know the gross and net cooling capacities from the equipment cutsheet, you can calculate the fan power per CFM and an adjusted COP (or EIR) for the compressor/condenser power only.  The difference between net and gross is the cooling required to overcome the fan heat and can be converted to Watts and used as the fan power.  See the snapshot below from the 90.1-2007 Users Manual.  It is an example on how to separate the two values.

Alternatively, you could review the 340/360 standard to see how fan power is accounted and use those numbers.  It could be as simple as the method described in Pasha’s email or by assuming a value for total static pressure, fan efficiency and motor efficiency and the calculating the fan power directly.

John

[cid:image001.png at 01CBAB47.4DB95390]

John T. Forester, P.E., LEED AP, Mechanical Design Engineer I BVH Integrated Services I 617.658.9008 tel I 617.244.3753 fax I One Gateway Center Suite 506, Newton MA 02458 I www.bvhis.com<http://www.bvhis.com> I Hartford ● New Haven ● Boston

From: equest-users-bounces at lists.onebuilding.org [mailto:equest-users-bounces at lists.onebuilding.org] On Behalf Of Pasha Korber-Gonzalez
Sent: Monday, January 03, 2011 12:33 PM
To: Ana N.
Cc: equest-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Subject: Re: [Equest-users] Converting Heat Pump COP to EIR

Here's a good reference for use too.  See attached,

Pasha
On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 9:25 AM, Ana N. <ananeddav at hotmail.com<mailto:ananeddav at hotmail.com>> wrote:

You can use this link to access discussion on this topic.

http://lists.onebuilding.org/pipermail/equest-users-onebuilding.org/2010-May/004407.html

Heating EIR = (1/(COP*3.413)-0.012167)/((1/3.413)-0.012167)
and
Heating EIR = (1/((HSPF*0.28+1.13)*3.413)-0.012167)/((1/3.413)-0.012167)

Hope this helps,
 Ana