[Equest-users] Advanced Level Equest Classes

Pasha Korber-Gonzalez pasha.pkconsulting at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 15:36:17 PST 2011

Hi Chris,
For a freeware CAD program I use DraftSight by Dassult Systems.  (google
it)  Only CAD files of type .dwg or .dxf can be read with the eQuest
viewers.  You an also input your building points in the (x,y,z) coordinates
and its not too difficult, just tedious.

As far as my Atrium modeling experience goes, I've always used the Wizard
inputs to best define it in my models.  I'll share what my experience
has been in using it and verifying its correct representation.

I have used the wizard level atrium options several times and like them
quite well.  although I can't really tell you what I like about them...In
the basic sense, when I click the check box in the wizard to say
"multi-level space" or "open to below" it makes me feel like eQuest is smart
and I really am 'successfully' representing an atrium in my model.  This is
all 'feel' good stuff in which I appreciate the wizard for offering those
feelings of comfort in my building my models.

Now in reality, DOE-2 cannot properly represent thermal characteristics of
atrium spaces and exchange of airflows.  It does represent a good static
time-shot of load conditions in the atrium spaces for example.  There can be
no exchange of airflows between multi levels of spaces (i.e. stack effect)
when using the "open to below" definition of spaces.--Thus, this has been my
experience with the wizard and DOE-2 atrium options:

   - I have used different shells above and below with differnt zoning and
   size of the atrium levels.  Yes, it is possible to tell an atrium zone of
   odd size "open to below" in the wizard, but in DOE-2 nothing really happens
   or changes, except that there is no internal-floor construction that is
   applied between these spaces.
   - Be mindful in the wizard inputs that when you indicate a space is a
   "multi-level" space it will ask you for the height of that space, and it
   takes that zone to a different height from the original floor-to-floor
   height that you input for your shell. The atrium should be specified at the
   bottom floor zone and then input the full height of the atrium (which should
   not exceed the height of the shell.)  The internal load inputs for all of
   your atria space(s) are specified in the wizard screen also including
   occupants, lights, and plug loads.  It will allow you to represent how much
   of the loads (%) are in the occupied/conditioned area of the atrium vs. the
   upper levels.
   - Now, you can also place another shell above the shell with the atrium
   in it and indicate "open to below" for the 2nd shell above the atrium
   space.  this function treats the upper zone (2nd shell) as a separate zone,
   but still 'open-to-below' for the atrium space.  If using this approach, be
   mindful of the internal load inputs you have in the upper zones.  You don't
   want to simulate occupants "floating" above the rest and 'falsly' loading
   your building model when they shouldn't be there.
   - From this point, when you switch to the DDedit mode from your wizard
   inputs you will see that your atrium is created as a single space/zone that
   is a part of your Groundfloor shell, and the "core" zone is not duplicated
   on the upper floors of the building shell.
   - Considering the thermal perspective of this representation, it is
   closer to accurate for a static modeling tool.  At least the airflow within
   the individual zone (atrium as a whole) is represented within itself, but
   airflow exchange between adjacent zones cannot be represented in DOE-2.
   This is more for dynamic simulation programs or even CFD modeling levels.
   This discussion could take us on another tangent.
   - If you are stacking more shells together and using the Multi-space
   option on the bottom shell and then the "open to below on the other shells"
   just be mindful of your internal loads for each zone.  I think if you tell
   the multi-level space that your atrium is the full height (extending its
   height beyond its own shell) you might be able to get away with this
   approach too, but you will probably have to delete the 'duplicate' spaces
   that will be created in the upper shells.  But I haven't verified this
   because I don't know what other implications might come into play.  The
   DOE-2 info defines the atrium spaces as only being able to be the height of
   the shell (not higher), so I wouldn't push my luck trying the last strategy.

 Hopefully that will be a bit helpful to you, I had to learn it all by trial
and error and testing of my inputs and outputs.  It's good to create a dummy
model and just try different things in the file to see how it can best
represent your project design.  Always get someone else to review your
results as well to make sure they are logical.

Good luck,
Pasha