[Equest-users] PVAVS System Terminal Box Fans

Dahlstrom, Aaron ADahlstrom at in-posse.com
Fri Jan 21 09:04:01 PST 2011

Omar:

You've got me double-checking my ASHRAE 90.1-07!

There is no call in Table G3.1.1B for system 5 to have fan powered terminal units.
Also, section G3.1.3.4 only provides instructions for fan powered terminal units for systems 6 and 8.
So I would say you should omit fan powered boxes from System 5.

Where we have fan powered boxes - either in the design, or in baseline system 6/8, we typically model with a PIU system. It sounds like you want a packaged system - the default is for PIU to have chilled water, but you can change the cooling-source to DX and spec an air- or water-cooled condenser, once you've created the system.

The power (and type) of the terminal unit fans is actually specified at the zone level. I've attached the section of the DOE-2 dictionary that explains how this works. See sections "terminal-type" and "zone fans".

Aaron

Aaron Dahlstrom , PE, LEED® AP
In Posse - A subsidiary of AKF| 1500 Walnut Street, Suite 1414, Philadelphia, PA 19102
d: 215-282-6753| m: 267-507-5470| In Posse: 215-282-6800| AKF: 215-735-7290