[Equest-users] LEED - Residential Lighting

M. Shields mshields at fstrategies.com
Tue Jul 26 11:10:13 PDT 2011

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has ever gotten credit for residential lighting
savings.  I attempted to use LEED CIR 1712 which states that 2.0 W/sqft is
the maximum allowable LPD.  I attempted to use this to establish a baseline
by assuming some portable lighting which remained the same in both models I
then assumed in the baseline case that the remainder of the 2.0 W/sqft would
be used by hardwired lighting in the baseline.  For example if the apartment
has 0.5 w/sqft of lamps, then it would have 1.5 w/sqft of hardwired lighting
in the baseline.  The proposed building would have the same 0.5 w/sqft of
lamps and then the actual w/sqft provided by fixtures.

LEED would not accept this and rejected my ECM saying I would have to
provide studies for duty cycles and lighting density and that the lighting
density provided in the CIR was not sufficient.  Our project is installing
hardwired energy star certified CFL fixtures in all rooms of all residential
spaces and we would like to get some credit for this, but I have yet to find
a method LEED will accept.  Has anyone had any luck with this?

Thanks

Michael Shields
Facility Strategies Group, LLC

1012 Market Street, Suite 307