[Equest-users] Separating Fan Energy from EER

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Mon Jul 11 07:51:33 PDT 2011

Hi Christian,

USGBC/LEED/90.1 does not officially sanction or require any eQuest-specific procedure (nor any other program), so ultimately it falls on the modelers to know what the heck we're doing and be able to defend it in cases like this.

As a qualifier, not all efficiency ratings are fan-energy-inclusive.  For those that are, the procedure I follow (using a spreadsheet) is to basically:

1.       Using the maximum design capacity, translate the prescribed/scheduled efficiency from SEER/EER to kW input at maximum capacity.  You may have noticed there's more than one SEER equation out there... For seasonal efficiencies (SEER/AFUE), there are various formulae for conversion to steady-state efficiencies (EER/COP) that vary based on what kind of equipment you're dealing with.  You'll also find that certain equipment like heatpumps have multiple equations referenced, as there are multiple white papers published over the decades that attempt to establish a relationship between nominal seasonal efficiency and steady-state efficiency, where each study sampled different equipment from a different period of time.  What does this mean for today's LEED modeler?  There are multiple right answers (provided you know where you're coming from).  To give a more concrete response on this point, here are the equations I have collected and currently use for baseline system seasonal efficiencies (with references):

EER=f(SEER):

[Reference: NREL Building America House Simulation Protocol (Revised), citing Wassmer, M. (2003). A Component-Based Model for Residential Air Conditioner and Heat Pump Energy Calculations.] <http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/buildings/publications/pdfs/%20building_america/house_simulation_revised.pdf>

(AC) (Baseline Systems #1, #3, #5 & #6):

EERNET = -0.0182*SEER^2 + 1.1088*SEER

(HP-cooling) (Baseline Systems #2 & #4):

EERNET = -0.02*SEER^2 + 1.1268*SEER

COP=f(HSPF):

[Reference: Wassmer, M. (2003). A Component-Based Model for Residential Air Conditioner and Heat Pump Energy Calculations. Masters Thesis, University of Colorado at Boulder.]

(HP-heating) (Baseline Systems #2 & #4):

COPNET = -0.0255*HSPF^2 + 0.6239*HSPF

HIR = f(AFUE):

[Reference: California Energy Commission's 2005 "Nonresidential Alternative Calculation Method (ACM) Approval Manual"]

For single packaged central furnace (baseline system #3):

HIR = (.005163*AFUE+0.4033)^-1

For Boilers where 75 ≤ AFUE < 80 (Baseline systems #1, #5 &#7):

HIR = (0.1*AFUE+72.5)^-1*100

For Boilers where 80 ≤ AFUE < 100 (Baseline systems #1, #5 &#7):

HIR = (0.875*AFUE+10.5)^-1*100

*Note: The cited references above are freely accessible on the internet, last time I checked.  If anyone has a "better" equation to suggest, (knowing where the equation came from), please share!

2.       For baseline systems, calculate the system fan energy Pfan.  For proposed systems, calculate the actual system fan energy in kW.

3.       Using the system fan design airflow(s), enter the calculated fan energy as kW/CFM under airside systems tab.

4.       Subtract #2 from the cooling "kW input" in #1 - this is the "other-than-fan energy."  Using the design cooling capacity for the system, turn that into an EIR figure for input in the model.

Those who make the effort to understand what's happening have the right idea.  Relying on others' work and tools without fundamental understanding on occasion is necessary, but it's a slippery slope to be sure.

Best of luck to you!

~Nick

NICK CATON, P.E.

SENIOR ENGINEER