[Equest-users] Question on a L2LHP with a Lake/Well GLHX

Otto Schwieterman oschwieterman at fhai.com
Mon Jun 6 13:55:41 PDT 2011

Taylor,

Make sure you specify the size for all of the water side equipment
(Loop-to-Loop Heat Pumps, Boilers, and Pumps). If I let eQUEST size this
equipment with a central geothermal system the default sizes are way off
and the model does not give the results that you would expect.

You may want to consider using load management and equipment controls so
the system operates in eQUEST as you want.

When you get close I would recommend creating a ground temperature
schedule for the Ground Loop Heat Exchanger if the loop is a ground
source loop. The Lake/Well loop gets the ground temperature from the
weather file that is used (you have to select a lake/well loop for a
central system). Has anyone created a ground loop temperature schedule?
If you have, how did you determine the ground temperatures? My plan is
to create the model as a geothermal heat pump system, get the ground
temperatures from the hourly reports and create a schedule from the
results. This is very time consuming but it is the most accurate way
that I can think of to get the proper ground temperatures.

LAKE/WELL                 The loop return temperature is set equal to
the temperature given by LOOP-TEMP-SCH, if specified. If LOOP-TEMP-SCH
is not specified the monthly ground temperature from the weather file is
used. This option allows you to simulate water-wells, lakes, and rivers,
where the temperature of these sources is driven by factors other than
the loop thermal demands. Since the supply temperature is fixed by the
schedule, all keywords pertaining to the ground field definition are
ignored.

                                  Note that a GROUND-LOOP-HX of TYPE =
LAKE/WELL can be attached to CIRCULATION-LOOPs of  TYPE = WLHP, CW
(condenser water), or LAKE/WELL. This allows chillers or other
water-cooled components to be attached to heat sinks like a lake, well,
or river rather than a cooling tower or outside air.

Good luck,

Otto