[Equest-users] IPLV Curve Fit

Robby Oylear robbyoylear at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 12:43:19 PDT 2011

Lyle,

The short answer is no.  IPLV cannot be used to create performance curves in
eQUEST.

Part-load curves are a strange animal in eQUEST. You'll need cooperation
from the chiller manufacturer to get the correct data.  You need to have
enough data to describe the way energy varies as a function of part-load,
chilled water supply temp, and outside air temperature.  Take a look at the
attached spreadsheet which can be used to create curves in eQUEST.  The data
in yellow should be entered by the manufacturer or manufacturer's rep. The
data in red should be entered into eQUEST.

If you look into the formulas, you'll note that EIR-FPLR is actually not an
EIR factor, it is based on the power draw of the equipment at part-load
compared to at full-load.  This throws a lot of people off as it is not
described that way in the help documentation.

The interesting question that arises when working with custom part-load
curves is how accurate does the eQUEST default performance curve model the
required IPLV for the baseline per ASHRAE 90.1?  In my experience the
default curve is approximately 10% worse than the IPLV requirement.

Hope this helps,

Robby Oylear, LEED AP BD+C
Mechanical Project Engineer
Energy Analyst