[Equest-users] LEED Review Comment on U-Value Input Method

Eric O'Neill ELO at MichaelsEnergy.com
Tue Jun 21 13:52:09 PDT 2011

Well, perhaps I'm nitpicking, but I see two distinct statements here.

1.       "shall conform with the following common, lightweight assembly
type"
AND

2.       "shall match the appropriate assembly maximum U-factors in
Tables 5.5-1 through 5.5-8"

If a baseline model does not meet both requirements, it doesn't pass,
right?

A mass construction, to me, meets both requirements. Just because it has
mass does not mean that it doesn't match the assembly U-factors.

However, I feel that a U-value only wall meets #2, but doesn't meet #1.
My original point was that U-value only constructions don't conform with
lightweight assembly types because lightweight constructions, by
definition, have some mass (or else they'd be no-weight, right?). ASHRAE
has provided examples of "light constructions" in the Fundamentals book
as steel constructions without brick or concrete, so that tells me that
lightweight doesn't imply no mass.

But I'll confess that I'm only going on instinct and what I feel is the
spirit of the code as Bruce described. It is not terribly explicit, so I
understand your position and it could probably be argued both ways until
the cows come home. I'd just hate to be on the wrong end of it when the
final review came through...

Eric