[Equest-users] eQuest Accounting for Exhaust Fan Energy for LEED

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Wed Jun 22 10:07:05 PDT 2011

I've run into this at least once, and an approach that has worked for me is a riff on Bill's first suggestion.  Start with: where is the air coming from?

If the negative space is a bathroom that in reality is drawing air from an adjacent open office space under the same system, why not specify the exhaust (wholly or in part) in the open office space?  Perhaps another large minimum-airflow space under the same system would work as well?  Airflows and cooling requirements should balance out at the system level provided the exhaust does not exceed the local zone airflow rate.

The balance of airflows may not work for every case, but this can potentially be the simplest approach.  Consider carefully whether the quantity and scheduling of the exhaust will cause it to exceed the hourly supply air rate for the zone(s) you're considering.

`Nick

NICK CATON, P.E.

SENIOR ENGINEER

Smith & Boucher Engineers