[Equest-users] Modeling Typical IT Rooms AC Units

Rob Hudson rdh4176 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 11:04:39 PDT 2011

To add to all the fun and confusion, i had this same conversation a few
weeks ago with other LEED people in my office.  My interpretation is that
equipment rack room and IT closets fall into an exception of 90.1, more
specifically Section G3.1.1 Baseline HVAC System Type and Description:

Exception b.  If the baseline HVAC system is type 5, 6, 7 or 8, use separate
single zone systems ... for any spaces that have occupancy or process loads
or schedules that differ significantly. ... Examples where this exception
may be applicable include, but are not limited to, computer server rooms,

Per this statement, you need to model the IT HVAC equipment as its own
system type 3/4 and give it the appropriate efficiencies.  Unfortunately
this means that most LEED models with IT spaces that are small get penalties
due to the equipment, as everyone has suggested.

Hope this sheds more light!

--Rob