[Equest-users] Heating Source Clarification

Darcy Dwyer darcydwyer at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 11:14:15 PST 2011

I am an undergraduate engineering student doing research to experimentally
validate a method that uses eQUEST to determine heating energy consumption
in buildings that are not metered, to better inform retrofits.  In addition
to experimental validation, I am making a detailed model of one of the test
buildings in eQUEST.  While modeling the building, I've been having trouble
differentiating between the heating source options; specifically, I'm not
sure what the difference is between "Baseboards only" and "Hot water coils"
when defining a hot water heating system.  The user manual wasn't very
helpful, although when I conducted a sensitivity analysis, heating energy
consumption differed by 43%.

If anyone can direct me to additional resources regarding building heating
sources that would also be greatly appreciated.

Darcy Dwyer '11
Smith College