[Equest-users] High throttling setting and KW/CFM calc

Jason Kirchhoff Jason at ibece.net
Thu Mar 10 09:45:21 PST 2011

Dear all,

I'd like to ask for a clarification of the throttling range in eQuest. I had been working under the assumption that your zone setpoint is at the middle of your throttling range, meaning the conditioned space temp drifts by +/- 0.5*TR (modifying the example from Greg's email...with a 75F set point and a throttling range of 8F, the system will begin cooling when the space hits 79 and turn off when it hits 71). This seems to be somewhat supported by the DOE-2 description which reads:

"The zone temperature heating or cooling set point is assumed to be at the midpoint of the throttling range."

In this case, you get an unmet hour when the space gets above 79F.

However, that same DOE-2 description continues with this statement:

"If the zone temperature is more than one THROTTLING-RANGE above the cooling set point, the zone for that hour is considered to be undercooled."

That would suggest that Greg's example was correct - for a 75F setpoint, you get an unmet hour when the space hits 75+8=83F. I did a google and archive search and found statements supporting both interpretations. Can anyone clarify this with any sort of authority?

Jason Kirchhoff
Engineer

IBE Consulting Engineers
14130 Riverside Drive, Suite 201
Sherman Oaks, CA 91423
d: (818) 305-3228 o: (818) 377-8220 f: (818) 377-8230

www.ibece.com <http://www.ibece.com/>
Ideas for the built environment

This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.