[Equest-users] Chiller curve ball

Carol Gardner cmg750 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 20:12:56 PST 2011

Vikram,

One of the most common mistakes made when creating chiller curves is not
normalizing them around the ARI rating points. This is required for all
curves except for the new compressor curves.

This is the most helpful section of the documentation that I have found:

 Volume 2: Dictionary <volume2dictionary.htm> > HVAC
Components<hvaccomponents.htm>>
CURVE-FIT <curvefit.htm> > INPUT-TYPE = DATA <inputtypedata.htm>
INDEPENDENT-2

Used for all curves having two independent variables. A list of up to twenty
values of the second independent variable. The number of values should be
the same as for DEPENDENT.

*Example 1*: defining a curve by inputting a set of data points.

A packaged system (PZS) has cooling performance significantly different from
that used in the default  model. The manufacturer lists the data shown in Table
46, for cooling capacity, at 2000 cfm design air flow rate, as a function of
outside dry-bulb temperature and entering wet-bulb temperature.

Table 46  Cooling capacity (kBtu/hr) vs. temperature

*Outside
Dry-bulb*

*Entering Wet-bulb*

*72F*

*67F*

*62F*

85F

69

65

60

95F

68

63 (ARI)

57

105F

65

60

53

115F

62

55

49

In this example the independent variables are the entering wet-bulb
temperature and the outside dry-bulb temperature. Because there are two
independent variables and they have units of temperature, we input a
curveof TYPE BI-QUADRATIC-T using the given data points. The dependent
variable
is not the cooling capacity listed in the table but rather the cooling
capacity divided by the cooling capacity at the ARI rating point (95 F
outside dry-bulb and 67 F entering wet-bulb). In other words, the capacities
should be normalized to the ARI rating point., as shown in Table 47

Table 47  Normalized capacity vs. temperature

*Outside
Dry-bulb*

*Entering Wet-bulb*

*72F*

*67F*

*62F*

85F

1.095

1.032

0.952

95F

1.079

1.0 (ARI)

0.905

105F

1.032

0.952

0.841

115F

0.984

0.873

0.778

The CURVE-FIT input will look like the following:

CAP-CURVE-1 = CURVE-FIT
TYPE               = BI-QUADRATIC-T
INPUT-TYPE         = DATA
DEPENDENT          = (1.000,1.079,0.905,1.032,0.952,0.841,
                      0.984,0.873,0.778,1.095,1.032,0.952) ..
IN-TEMP1           = (   67,   72,   62,   72,   67,   62,
                         72,   67,   62,   72,   67,   62) ..
IN-TEMP2           = (   95,   95,   95,  105,  105,  105,
                        115,  115,  115,   85    85,   85) ..

*Example 2:* Defining a curve by inputting coefficients

We want a furnace to have a constant efficiency as a function of part load.
To do this we must replace the default FURNACE-HIR-FPLR with a curve that
will give a constant efficiency. The curve TYPE is QUADRATIC in the part
load ratio (PLR). PLR correction curves are always multiplied by the unit
capacity, not the load, to obtain the energy (fuel or electricity) use. Thus
the curve we want is: 0.0 + 1.0*PLR + 0.0*PLR*PLR. The input will look like:

New-Furnace-HIR-fPLR = CURVE-FIT
TYPE               = QUADRATIC
INPUT-TYPE         = COEFFICIENTS
COEFFICIENTS       = (0.0,1.0,0.0) ..

Then in the SYSTEM command we include:

   FURNACE-HIR-FPLR = New-Furnace-HIR-fPLR

Try normalizing your dependent in the same way shown here and you should get
very different output.

Carol
*
*