[Equest-users] EMS Control System Modeling

Paul Diglio paul.diglio at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 11 11:33:05 PST 2011

I never heard of DCV implemented with cycling fans.  Per 90.1 and our CT State
Code the fan needs to run continuously when the space is occupied.  Most codes
require compliance with  90.1 whether we are modeling to that standard or not.

How can you provide the necessary ventilation air if you do not know how long
the fan will run each hour?  Do you model the fan to run 3 times per hour and
bring in additional ventilation air so that the hourly average meets 62.1
standards?

My experience is with modeling DCV in both eQuest and using exceptional
calculations via Excel.  I have verified the energy savings after the DCV
measure has been installed.  You might expect a 6-8% savings in cooling and
heating energy attributed to the air handling units that have implemented this
measure.  Often the simple payback is over 5 years because DDC CO2 sensors are
expensive. Of course, it depends on the unit size and the occupancy load.

Paul Diglio