[Equest-users] Fuel Cells

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Tue Mar 22 11:53:03 PDT 2011

Interesting question, Arpan!

Here's an article with a fellow expounding his thoughts... I think he
makes a good case regarding EAc2.  If you can ensure the fuel to
replenish the fuel cells is generated on-site, it would appear you're in
line with the intent of the EAc2 credit (onsite renewable energy):

http://www.green-buildings.com/content/781444-fuel-cells-renewable-energ
y-are-they-applicable-leed

No direct experience to share... As the model goes, I expect you could
handle fuel cells by modifying an engine generator and setting up a
custom fuel meter/rate that accounts for the fuel cell fuel costs
(whether purchased from off site or generated on-site).  You might
simply approximate the entire system's cost/efficiency and use a
straight meter as well.  I'm sure many of us would be interested to hear
how you approach this, if you do =).

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER