[Equest-users] Thermal Blocks/HVAC Systems for LEED Credit

Bishop, Bill wbishop at pathfinder-ea.com
Wed Mar 30 06:47:09 PDT 2011

Michael,

If it were me, I would not try to model multiple zones as a single
thermal block if the zones are served by different-sized systems.
Different system sizes imply the zones are not thermally-similar.

If you have created thermal blocks of stacked apartments that ARE served
by the same sized systems, then I think you are justified in modeling a
single system for that zone with the combined capacities of all the
systems and using the efficiency of those systems. But I agree with the
reviewer that you should model each different "stack" with the size and
efficiency of the identical systems in that stack.

The 90.1 User's Manual goes into detail about how/when to create thermal
blocks, but I can't find where it describes how to combine systems, so
this is just my opinion.

Bill

William Bishop, PE, BEMP, LEED(r) AP | Pathfinder Engineers & Architects
LLP
Mechanical Engineer

 134 South Fitzhugh Street                 Rochester, NY 14608
T: (585) 325-6004 Ext. 114                F: (585) 325-6005
wbishop at pathfinder-ea.com           www.pathfinder-ea.com
<http://www.pathfinder-ea.com/>
P   Sustainability - the forest AND the trees. P