[Equest-users] question about inefficiency of duct

John Bixler JBixler at Sebesta.com
Wed Mar 30 15:30:03 PDT 2011

Nick,

The original post as well as follow ups from Paul and myself discuss loses that occur in supply and return ducts, not limiting the discussion to return ducts nor limiting it to plenum loses, for that matter.

Equest has inputs for duct loses, in several different formats/locations.  In my experience, it has been difficult to accurately model these loses and obtain logical results.

I believe Mike’s point was “if the air in the duct is the same temp as the air the duct is passing through, the effect is negligible”.  I certainly agree with that, and the classic example of that scenario is a return duct (carrying room temperature air) passing through conditioned space or plenums (assuming the temp of the plenum is near the temp of the space).

From a practical standpoint, unless you are working on an existing building with outdated construction standards, or trying to model a  specific energy conservation measure that analyzes the impact of duct insulation (or potentially changing supply air temps), there are few compelling reasons to account for these loses (from an energy use standpoint).

On the other hand, if you are trying to run load calcs for equipment sizing, you may want to account for them.  Again, equest has inputs under “duct loses” to do so.  It sort of sounds like this is what the original poster is asking for.  (original poster:  try to calculate the ducts UA value and use that).

From: Nick Caton [mailto:ncaton at smithboucher.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 5:09 PM
To: John Bixler; Paul Diglio; equest-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Subject: RE: [Equest-users] question about inefficiency of duct

Paul/John,

Thanks very much for the clarifications!  I’m learning a thing or two, but I suspect my choice of words might be getting in the way of what I was trying to convey…

Please consider and affirm or correct this statement:

If there is rarely a case where return duct plenum losses/gains are negligible, then it follows all energy models should explicitly account for these losses/gains to those spaces.

A specific follow-through would be:  If an eQuest model does not model conductive heat gains/losses in the return air path, does that make the eQuest model invalid?

Trying to pull this discussion back into daily practice with eQuest… I am still fuzzy on exactly how and to what extent eQuest/DOE2 does model such internal supply and return duct losses/gains (outside of light load fractions)…  Can anyone in the know clarify this query?

~Nick
[cid:489575314 at 22072009-0ABB]

NICK CATON, E.I.T.
PROJECT ENGINEER