[Equest-users] Thermal Blocks

Bishop, Bill wbishop at pathfinder-ea.com
Wed May 4 08:18:19 PDT 2011

I’m also curious to hear Jeff’s LEED reviewer interpretation of thermal blocks. I’ll add some general comments.

I believe it is incorrect use of terminology to talk about “multiple zones per thermal block” in eQUEST.

The words space and zone both have specific meanings in eQUEST. For each space, there is a single corresponding zone.

Multiple zones can be applied to a single system. (Unfortunately, multiple systems cannot be applied to a single zone, but that is another thread.)

The term thermal block does not have a precise meaning in eQUEST, but I would not describe the group of zones assigned to a single system as a thermal block.

If you wanted to try to model the exact intent of a proposed design, you would model each thermally-unique area as its own space/zone. A generalization is that a zone is an area served by a single thermostat.

To simplify a model, similar zones can be combined into thermal blocks per the guidelines in ASHRAE Standard 90.1.

Modelers have to make judgments calls on if/how to combine zones into thermal blocks.

In eQUEST, the decision to combine zones into thermal blocks really should be done at the wizard input level, when the zones are defined. You combine multiple zones per the design intent into a single zone definition for simulation purposes.

You don’t have multiple zones in a thermal block. Each thermal block is defined/modeled as a single eQUEST zone.

You could still assign multiple thermal blocks/zones to a single system, but I would be wary of over-simplifying a proposed design.

Regards,

Bill