[Equest-users] input parameters for area lights and miscellaneous equipments.

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Mon May 23 07:53:32 PDT 2011

Soham and Kirti,

1.       Exterior lighting:  W/SF as entered in the wizards is
multiplied by the corresponding shell's area in which you're assigning
it.  Quirky, but if you keep that in mind you can avoid the extra step
of correcting in detailed.  It's an easy mistake to enter installed
Watts or kW in the wizard (that seems intuitive to me also).

2.       Miscellaneous loads and LPD's in the wizards are also handled
on a W/SF basis, but for each space.  You can override the defaults if
you wish to:

a.       LPD is entered for each occupancy type, and those occupancy
types are then assigned to each zone, if you fully utilize the DD
wizards.  You may be as detailed (or not) in assigning your occupancy
types as you feel comfortable/necessary.

b.      For miscellaneous equipment, I suggest referencing the 90.1
User's manual for plug load W/SF in the context of a LEED/90.1 model.
You can similarly enter a uniform W/SF value for each occupancy type and
that will translate straight into detailed.

c.       Miscellaneous loads beyond plug loads (ex: elevators, process
equipment...) are something I usually handled in detailed mode, where I
can directly edit/create/import the associated scheduling and assign
names I can easily track/reference/document.

3.       An extra reminder:  You can streamline the process of defining
exterior lighting schedules by saving re-useable ones in an .inp file
and importing them from previous projects ;).  More discussion in the
archives if you're curious!

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER