[Equest-users] 90.1-2007 Table 7.8 Water Heater Efficiencies

Paul Diglio paul.diglio at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 4 04:37:07 PDT 2011

Could anyone help me understand the calculation for the minimum efficiency of
gas storage water heaters per the table above?

The calculation is 80%Et (Q/800+110 SqRt V) SL, Btuh.

I understand that Q is the nameplate input rate in Btuh and V is the volume.

Do I use the volume of the whole system, the storage tank only or the recovery
rate volume?

I understand SL is the standby loss.  Does SL, Btuh mean multiply the equation
in parenthesis by the standby loss in btu's per hour?

Thanks for the help,

Paul Diglio