[Equest-users] LED Lights (UNCLASSIFIED)

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Fri Oct 7 13:21:04 PDT 2011

John et al:

The query seems to be branching out pretty quickly ...  I have many
thoughts on the broader topic and present state of LED's and their that
wouldn't make everyone happy to read/hear, but I think this addresses
the heart of John's post directly:

The problem of lights as an internal heat load remains pretty simple for
us energy modelers and HVAC designers, and isn't made more difficult by
LED technology.

Consider a light fixture of any source as the boundaries of a
thermodynamic problem:  Energy in = Energy out.  If we put 100W of
energy into the fixture, then 100W of energy must be produced in some
form.  That output is some combination of visible light energy that our
eyeballs can perceive, and invisible other energy which can largely be
perceived as heat/sound after transmitting through the air or other
surfaces to arrive our eardrums/skin.  Normally that ratio of output
visible light energy is tiny, but for certain LED sources it's less
tiny**.  That fraction is entirely moot however from an building energy
simulation standpoint.  All energy output in the form of light will
encounter surfaces (floors/walls/people) and ultimately be absorbed*.
In the process, the energy will briefly excite a few electrons... but
when the lights go off and the excited electron-party is over all that's
left is energy irradiated an invisible wavelengths (excepting
glow-in-the-dark t-shirts).  The big point here is, energy input is the
only figure/variable we really care about, because that's exactly the
amount of energy we need to consider from an HVAC heating/cooling
perspective.  None of it just goes away.

~Nick

* Acknowledging:  A fraction of light hitting exterior windows transmits
out of a building - I'll claim this negligible since that's a fraction
(glass transmittance) of a fraction (window to every-other-surface
ratio) of an already small fraction of the input watts (visible light
vs. other wavelengths).

** If anyone cares to better understand this careful choice of words, or
wishes to better cut through marketing mis-information from the lighting
industry, I would first advise taking some time to review difference in
the terms 'efficacy' & 'efficiency,' then identify the contextual
mis-use in the preceding discussion below.  Incorrect conclusions
regarding heat are made as a result.  A hint:  Both can use units of
"lumens per watt" in the right context,  but lumens per watt of light
output is not the same thing as lumen of light output per watt of input
energy  ;).

NICK CATON, P.E.

SENIOR ENGINEER

Smith & Boucher Engineers