[Equest-users] Equest freeze and Spreadsheet refresh error

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Fri Oct 21 14:04:53 PDT 2011

Jude/Aaron,

When I've run into this circumstance I've taken it as great
justification to go back and simplify the model.  If that's not out of
the question considering your timeline and requirements for accuracy, I
would definitely advise carefully assessing whether you can define
things in a simpler fashion.  Attached recent discussion with James
Chueh seems to parallel your situation and may help you brainstorm a few
ideas.

I've never done this due to sheer model size (only on smaller projects),
but I have advocated "splitting the model" for time-efficiency, and that
may be a good strategy for you in this instance.  Look for an importing
mini guide thread I posted in the archives.

The concept is to build up parallel model files that are intentionally
structured/named in a fashion to be import-able into each other.  You
may find splitting your building in two will be functionally manageable
with the eQuest interface, and if/when you need to model both halves of
the building together you can go through the importing hoops.  Before
going far down this path I would personally give this strategy a test
run to be sure the importing feature doesn't cause unique issues due to
model size... uncharted territory!

~Nick

NICK CATON, P.E.

SENIOR ENGINEER