[Equest-users] Glazing envelope

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Thu Oct 27 10:04:35 PDT 2011

Hi Andres,

If you're not defining glazing then your model's envelope is at best akin to opaque glass... Thermally it's probably about the same thing at night... but not once sun rises.  I would define glazing fenestrations as windows where you have them.

I haven't done any projects in such proximity to the equator, so I'm not sure what's the norm, but 750 EUI does appear fairly high for an office building.  Based on other things we can see on that report, I'd suggest you investigate/correct for two items before stressing over EUI:

1.       Your consumed energy is overwhelmingly in the "misc equip" category - much more than I've ever encountered for an office building.  Review your space equipment and related inputs... Enduse categories are spelled out in the last few pages of  Help à Tutorials and Reference à Detailed Simulation Reports Summary.pdf

2.       Your model is not cooling one or more spaces to the thermostats' satisfaction for a significant portion of the year (1,926 unmet hours).  This may be directly related to the misc equip producing inordinately high internal heat loads, so deal with that issue first and this may go away.

As to what EUI is "normal," you may find energystar's website is somewhat helpful (something done for the LEED templates anyway), but take any EUI's determined there with a grain of salt... EUI is a funny metric that loses meaning the less you know about where the baseline data comes from, and I've found energystar's web tool to favor "ease of use" over such detailed clarity in the past.  If you have a client interested in measuring performance using EUI, I would sooner research my own baseline by identifying the annual consumptions of a building similar in size, region and occupancy to draw comparisons against.

Someone else may have an alternative recommendation for EUI "rules of thumb" resources... I believe the onebuilding archives contain discussions on the topic.

~Nick

NICK CATON, P.E.

SENIOR ENGINEER

Smith & Boucher Engineers