[Equest-users] LEED flagpole lighting

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Fri Sep 2 08:10:09 PDT 2011

Hey Bill,

My memory is fuzzy, but I think if you look for the CIR there was some
recognition by LEED at one point that flagpoles need to be lit on all
these LEED-mandated gov't projects, and so guidance was set along the
lines of "no more than three fixtures of XXX lumens or less (translated
to 50W MH lamping)" being exempted from the uplight calcs...

THAT SAID, if you make a point to use full-cutoff-everything-else on a
medium-to-large site, I've found the % uplight caused by 2 or 3 small
flagpole spot floods normally does not exceed the maximum  % allowed, so
they end up included in my calcs regardless.

So  the uplight concern isn't really major if you specify dark sky
fixtures (zero above 90 degrees) elsewhere.

So far as energy-efficiency is concerned, I'm curious to hear any
positive experiences with LED/Solar.  I know lighting a flag well from
above can often be a challenge if you're trying to avoid direct source
glare, and I've yet to see a solar option in action with a strong
'punch' at 25/30ft up.  Fuzzy metrics, I know ^_^.

~Nick

NICK CATON, P.E.

SENIOR ENGINEER

Smith & Boucher Engineers