[Equest-users] Wall classification for adjacent buildings

Mirza Sajjal Mirza.Sajjal at BuroHappold.com
Fri Sep 2 09:49:56 PDT 2011

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has an idea on an issue that I've come across
regarding what is considered an exterior wall and whether the wall area
should be included in the window-wall ratio calculations.

There are two existing buildings which have walls touching with no air
gap, but if one of the buildings were to be demolished the other will
not be affected i.e. structurally independent (although there is very
little possibility the building will be demolished). My question is
whether these walls are considered exterior or interior walls? My
understanding is that the energy model should simulate it as an
adiabatic wall but it should be considered an exterior wall for code
compliance and window-wall ratio calculations.

Any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Mirza

This message has been scanned by MailController - portal1.mailcontroller.co.uk