[Equest-users] eQUEST-Screen#2 'Multi-Level Space' & 'Open to Below'

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Tue Sep 6 10:48:53 PDT 2011

Hi Julie!

First, there is more than one approach to achieve a multi-story space in
eQuest.  If you wish to use the wizards to set this up, I have a few
additional tips to share based on what you already seem to know:

1.       Use a 2+ story shell.  This means the zone layouts for the
associated floors will necessarily be identical - necessary evil if you
wish to have the wizards do all the work.

2.       In  the appropriate zone(s), select "multi-level space"

3.       Also be sure to specify the "conditioned height" for the zone.
This will translate to that space's flr-to-clg height in detailed edits.

Note by default, the wizards are assuming an unconditioned portion at
the top of the atrium space - this is sometimes appropriate for
simulation purposes...  If this isn't the case, simply specify a
"conditioned height" to match the full atrium height and you'll avoid
creating any intermediate floors/plenums to delete later.

If you wish to have different zonal layouts/shells for each level
(contrary to #1 above and as suggested by your screengrabs), then you
will need to perform the necessary modifications in detailed mode after
the wizards entirely.  This involves modifying the ground-level
flr-to-clg height variable, adjusting/deleting spaces above the ground
level to accommodate (if necessary, considering an unconditioned volume
may be desirable per above discussion), then reviewing and adjusting the
corresponding zones to ensure everything is in order.  You may consider
copying child surfaces (such as a roof or windows) to the ground level
space prior to any deletion to save time.

The caution that appears upon re-entering the wizards is simply
informing you will lose any work done "post-wizards" if you click that
"Finish" button, which regenerates the model from the wizard-level
inputs.

Hope this helps =),

~Nick

NICK CATON, P.E.