[Equest-users] Adding Insulation to existing building

Peter Hillermann peterh at westallarchitects.com
Wed Sep 7 13:21:09 PDT 2011

Mike,

We had similar issues in the models and real life which we rectified after our first LEED project. Insulation keeps heat in or cool in your building. Remember not only would it keep cool air in the summer from moving out of a building through the walls, it also keeps that same heat from moving out through the walls in the summer if generated by some piece of equipment that generates large amounts of heat. So it all depends on what you are simulating in the building. Think of your insulation as trapping whatever is happening in the building. Insulation is not always the key. Sometimes using a form of natural ventilation like a louver can help offset some of those differences in temperature and change some of the issues you are having with your electric bill or gas bill depending on what you are using for heating and cooling.

Thanks,

PETER HILLERMANN

 <mailto:peterh at westallarchitects.com> peterh at westallarchitects.com

westall