[Equest-users] Custom zone names in DD Wizards

Pasha Korber-Gonzalez pasha.pkconsulting at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 10:51:00 PDT 2011

Hi--I use this feature all the time in the wizard and it's the BEST!

A couple notes from my experiences:

   - yes you can change the zones & plenum names too---at the bottom of the
   window (look at Nick's screen shot) where it has a dropdown box for "spaces"
   you can go and select "zones" and then change the name there.  (This is
   inconvenient in a way to have to name things twice, but remember that the
   thermal zones and spaces are two separate things in DOE-2, thus we have no
   choice but to name them twice.)
   - You can use the copy paste function when doing the custom naming and I
   found that using this helps to streamline my 'custom names' since I have to
   type them individually for each space and each zone.
   - I have had the function freeze up on me a couple of times, and I found
   that this happened because I had too many zones and I was doing too many
   things on my computer (besides eQuest) that the memory cache froze up and
   thus caused my error in my model file.  I believe it actually corrupted my
   file a couple of times, but THank GOD for 'save-as' and I could revert to an
   earlier copy of my file.
   - This is the best place to do the custom naming if you remember to do it
   while you are in wizard mode.  Remember that the spaces and zones cannot
   have the exact same names, there has to be a unique identifier between
   these.  I usually use the letter "Z" somewehre in the zone name.  Or you can
   just remove the space characters in the zone name and use the same name as
   the space (sans the spaces).

I encourage anyone to use this function all the time because using custom
space/zone names always helps me navigate through my inputs faster if I am
familiar with the zone names.  When you do the custom naming be mindful of
the number of zones you have in your model  (too many is not a good thing.)
AND becareful to not run too many other programs in the background when you
are doing the custom naming--this is when I found the program to freeze up
the most.  If I let eQuest have the "stage" and shut down my outlook, etc
then I don't have the issues of the program freezing.

Feel free to email or call if anyone has questions/comments about my
experience using this feature.

Cheers,
Pasha

Korber Energy Consultants