[Equest-users] A proposed model compared with ASHRAE 90.1 baseline

Pasha Korber-Gonzalez pasha.pkconsulting at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 08:14:34 PDT 2011

KeHuang,

this is the same issue for every energy simulator---the answer is that this
is the time the real Engineering comes into play and your own experience.
You are asking an open ended quesiton so I can try and give you a few
hints that you can further explore.

If you are doing a compliance modeling task comparing against 90.1 baseline
then you will need to evaluate the results of both your models to make sure
that the output is logical with your inputs.  If your baseline building is
consuming less energy than your proposed building I would conclude that
something is wrong with your baseline model.....or on the other hand,
something is wrong in the design of the proposed building.

The attached document is a reference resource for complaince models in the
state of Oregon, USA.  I suggest you read pages 14-15 and then also
reference the information in Appendix D and Appendix E to help you perform
quality control on your model file(s).  I found this info to be very helpful
and straight forward.

The second document is published by the DOE-2.2 developers and contains tips
and checklists to perform quality control on your model files.  You might
find those checklists helpful to troubleshoot and verify your model
results.   Just because equest gives you output numbers doesn't guaruntee
they are accurate numbers...

These references should help you find other 3rd party sources by which you
can compare your model output against.

Good luck,
Pasha