[Equest-users] Values choosing of the typical equipment &miscellaneous power densities.

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Thu Sep 29 06:54:24 PDT 2011

Hi Joey,

I thought to write about the 25% topic but thought it best to not bring it up¡­  Perhaps a quick recap is in order for your situation and others¡¯ benefit!

There has been much discussion regarding that ¡°25% rule¡± between myself and others on these lists ([bldg-rate], [bldg-sim], [equest-users]).  Re: archives.

I started out with the same conclusion you¡¯re stating: the baseline consumption is supposed to be 25% plug/process loads.  The LEED 2.2 handbook is unfortunately worded under EAc1 to suggest this as a prescriptive default in the absence of substantial documentation, but that ¡°documentation¡± can be as simple as a one-line reference as I described.  Note the LEED v3 handbook (under EAp2 I think) re-words those lines on process loads to emphasize the expectation is to simply match between the models ¨C no mention of 25%.

I have since that time done an about face on that viewpoint and believe that figure to be entirely arbitrary.  ¡°Forcing¡± 25% plug load consumption in the baseline is in many cases arbitrarily detrimental to the overall performance rating, is rarely realistic, and the resulting internal gains can cause irresolvable unmet hours for proposed equipment of a specified capacity (remembering the baseline and proposed should normally have matching process loads).  I came to the lists seeking to share and learn better approaches to ¡°fairly¡± mitigate these artificial internal loads, and in doing so learned I was far off the path from others.

I could re-iterate my perception of the history and intent behind the 25% figure, but you¡¯re probably best advised to seek out those discussions in the archives to come to a fuller understanding.  I would presently advise referencing and using something reasonable for your proposed building in both models, and not treating the 25% figure as a mandate, but do inform yourself by reading those archived discussions so that you can defend your position against any argumentative v2.2 reviewer.

~Nick

NICK CATON, P.E.

SENIOR ENGINEER

Smith & Boucher Engineers