[Equest-users] eQUEST & PV

Varkie C Thomas thomasv at iit.edu
Wed Apr 25 11:04:12 PDT 2012

Below is my answer to eQUEST PV questions that I received directly.  I am not an expert on eQUEST.  I used DOE2.1E to estimate the performance of PV as described below.  The results may be questionable.  I would like to have case studies of modeling PV with eQUEST.

PV Case Studies Projects on http://bepan.info/
Proj-8 - eQ-Tutor - CCGT (modified) - DL+GSHP+PV
http://bepan.info/projequest/p8-ccgt-pv-gshp
Proj-8 used the PV option of eQUEST-DOE22.  I have not tried to understand the PV theory and how it converts solar light energy to electricity.  I am not sure whether I modeled the input right because I copied the input described in:
http://bepan.info/iit-eq-sem-08/q5-pv-gshp
DOE22-eQUEST PV-Documentation

Proj-11 - DOE21E - Chicago Center for Green Tech - DL+GSHP+PV
http://bepan.info/proj-bldgs/p11-ccgt-doe21e
Proj-11 used DOE2.1E (does not have PV option) and uses the hourly report of radiation (direct, diffuse, total) falling on a surface.  It assumes the light energy falling on PV is the same (??).  Create a bldg with a wall (or roof surface) with an azimuth and tilt angle of the proposed PV panel and the area of the PV panel.  10 years ago when the study was done the efficiency of PV was about 9% to 12%.  Now the manufacturers claim up to 17%.  In the study 10% (I think) of the total btuh radiation falling on the surface was assumed can be converted to kwh electricity.
Proj-12 - eQ-DOE21E - MSCC - Middle-School + Community-Center
http://bepan.info/proj-bldgs/p12-middle-school
Proj-12 applies the renewable energy savings (PV, GSHP, day-lighting) options of Proj-11 CCGT and creates a bldg (design criteria based on a RFP from client) that enhances the performance.

Proj-21 – DOE21E - Beijing - Solar-Radiation – PhotoVoltaics – Study
http://bepan.info/proj-doe21e/p21_beijing-solar-pv
Proj-21 also analyzes solar data using DOE2.1E.

Proj-13 - eQ-DOE21E - HRMU - High-Rise Mixed-Use Bldg
http://bepan.info/proj-bldgs/p13-high-rise-bldg
Note that the PERCENT energy savings (base Std90) for a low-rise bldg in a suburban location with land for GSHP can be 50% but for a high-rise bldg in an urban location with high land costs and surrounded by tall bldgs the percent energy savings is small.  Compare Proj-12 & Proj-13.

There are plans to create a database of case studies. Statistical analysis of existing bldgs can be used to estimate the energy performance of new bldgs.  See
http://bepan.info/contents
2 -Building Energy Performance Analysis Resources (BEPAR) Database - Proposed

Varkie
http://www.iit.edu/arch/faculty/thomas_varkie.shtml

$------Hourly Reports for Loads---Choose specific days to check results--------$

$ Variable-Type=Global   Variable-Type=Building       Variable-Type= Wall-Name $
$ --------------------   ----------------------       ------------------------ $
$ 1 =  Clearness No.     1 =  Heating Sensible        1 =  Total Solar on Wall $
$ 2 =  Ground-T (R)      18 = Infltr Heating Latent   4 =  PD by Wind & Stack  $
$ 3 =  WB Temp           19 = Cooling Sensible        5 =  Heat Transfer       $
$ 4 =  DB Temp           20 = Cooling Latent          6 =  Surface Temp        $
$ 5 =  Atm Press         25 = Cooling Infltr Sensib   7 =  Infltr CFM by Crack $
$ 6 =  Cloud Cover       36 = Cooling Infltr Latent                            $
$ 7 =  Snow Flag                                      Variable-Type= Wndw-Name $
$ 8 =  Rain Flag         Variable-Type = Space-Name   ------------------------ $
$ 9 =  Wind Dir          --------------------------   10 = Shaded Fraction     $
$ 10 = Humidity Ratio    31 = Infltr Latent           11 = Dir Solar Incident  $
$ 12 = Enthalpy          37 = Infltr Sensible         12 = Diff Solar Incident $
$ 18 = Dew Point         39 = Infltr CFM              15 = Solar Heat Gain     $
$ 27 = Hour Angle        42 = Space Sensible          18 = Infltr CFM by Crack $
$ 36 = Direct Rad        43 = Space Latent                                     $
$ 37 = Diffuse Rad       44 = Space Total             Variable-Type= Door-Name $
$ 50 = Solar Altitude    49 = Daylight (FC) Ref-1     ------------------------ $
$ 51 = Solar Azimuth     50 = Daylight (FC) Ref-2     6 =  Infltr CFM by Crack $
$------------------------------------------------------------------------------$

SCH-HOURLY-LOADS = SCHEDULE              $ Hourly Report 21st of each month $
   THRU JAN 20 (ALL) (1,24) = (0)
   THRU JAN 21 (ALL) (1,24) = (1)
   THRU FEB 20 (ALL) (1,24) = (0)
   THRU FEB 21 (ALL) (1,24) = (1)
   THRU MAR 20 (ALL) (1,24) = (0)
   THRU MAR 21 (ALL) (1,24) = (1)
   THRU APR 20 (ALL) (1,24) = (0)
   THRU APR 21 (ALL) (1,24) = (1)
   THRU MAY 20 (ALL) (1,24) = (0)
   THRU MAY 21 (ALL) (1,24) = (1)
   THRU JUN 20 (ALL) (1,24) = (0)
   THRU JUN 21 (ALL) (1,24) = (1)
   THRU JUL 20 (ALL) (1,24) = (0)
   THRU JUL 21 (ALL) (1,24) = (1)
   THRU AUG 20 (ALL) (1,24) = (0)
   THRU AUG 21 (ALL) (1,24) = (1)
   THRU SEP 20 (ALL) (1,24) = (0)
   THRU SEP 21 (ALL) (1,24) = (1)
   THRU OCT 20 (ALL) (1,24) = (0)
   THRU OCT 21 (ALL) (1,24) = (1)
   THRU NOV 20 (ALL) (1,24) = (0)
   THRU NOV 21 (ALL) (1,24) = (1)
   THRU DEC 20 (ALL) (1,24) = (0)
   THRU DEC 21 (ALL) (1,24) = (1)
   THRU DEC 31 (ALL) (1,24) = (0)
..

$-------------------------------------Hourly Global & Building-----------------$

LDS-WEATHER = REPORT-BLOCK                            $ VARIABLE-TYPE = GLOBAL $
VARIABLE-TYPE = GLOBAL
VARIABLE-LIST = (3,4,10,12,18,36,37,50,51)     $ WB,DB,W,H,DP,Dir,Diff,Azm,Alt $
..

$---------------------------------------------- Space, Wall, Window -----------$

LDS-SPACE-S3 = REPORT-BLOCK               $ VARIABLE-TYPE = User-Name of SPACE $
   VARIABLE-TYPE = S-3                                    $ User-Name of Space $
   VARIABLE-LIST = (42,43,44)                  $ Space Sensible, Latent, Total $
..

LDS-WALL-S3 = REPORT-BLOCK        $ VARIABLE-TYPE = User-Name of EXTERIOR-WALL $
   VARIABLE-TYPE = S-EW                           $ User-Name of EXTERIOR-WALL $
   VARIABLE-LIST = (1,17,18,6)            $ Wall Solar: Total, Direct, Diffuse $
                                               $ 6 = Wall Outside Surface Temp $
..

LDS-WNDW-S3 = REPORT-BLOCK              $ VARIABLE-TYPE = User-Name of WINDOW $
   VARIABLE-TYPE = S-WN                                 $ User-Name of WINDOW $
   VARIABLE-LIST = (11,12)                                    $ I-dir, I-diff $
..

LOADS-HOUR-REP = HOURLY-REPORT $
        REPORT-SCHEDULE = SCH-HOURLY-LOADS $
        REPORT-BLOCK = (LDS-WEATHER )
..

END ..                                                $ End of INPUT FOR LOADS $

COMPUTE LOADS  ..
SAVE-FILES  ..
STOP  ..