[Equest-users] Process heat exchanger

Jeremy McClanathan jmcclanathan at CDiengineers.com
Fri Apr 6 08:25:52 PDT 2012

Another option might be to create a secondary CHW loop and apply the process load directly to the loop.  You could create a loop pump to serve the loop and match the head, flow, etc.
Jeremy.

Jeremy McClanathan, P.E., BEMP, HFDP, LEED® AP BD+C

4200 194th St SW, Ste 200, Lynnwood, WA 98036
P 425-672-1071 | F 425-778-8769
??Please consider the environment before printing this email.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Weigel [mailto:dave.weigel at thewattdoctors.com]
Sent: Friday, April 06, 2012 6:42 AM
To: equest-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Subject: [Equest-users] Process heat exchanger

Hi again group,

I must model a process heat exchanger (actually, several of them).  They take chilled water from the building HVAC plant.  I am considering modeling the loads as internal plug loads in a space of their own with no exposures, lights, people, or any other additional load.  I will cool that space with a two-pipe fan coil unit, no outdoor air, to get the heat into the chilled water loop.  I'll set up the fan power to match what the actual designed pump power will be for the heat exchanger.  I'll explain this all with my LEED documentation and include the calculation of fan power versus pump power.  The loads don't vary when they are on, so I don't have to worry about the differences in fan curve versus pump curve in eQuest.

Do you think this is the best way to handle these heat-exchanger loads?  Do you think it'll fly through a LEED review?

Thanks for any experience or opinions!

Dave

David R. Weigel, PE
Member / President