[Equest-users] how to simulate PTAC reasonably

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Wed Apr 25 14:38:12 PDT 2012

Hi there,

Sounds like you are getting yourself turned around... There are a few schools of thought out there regarding exactly how cooling EIR should be derived from a fan-inclusive energy rating (it's my understanding future versions/addenda to 90.1 may address/clarify this with a sort of generic set of "non-fan cooling/heating efficiency factors"), but you should not be entering 0.0 energy for your fan in any case.

Presently, one can choose to figure a baseline system cooling EIR using either the baseline Pfan or ARI procedure fan power figures...  I have used both without consequence, and the two methods (usually) produce similar results, but I have gathered over time approaches based on ARI fan energies are easier to pick up and may be more widely practiced, so I'll describe that approach here.  The archives contain a few discussions (look for my name) describing Pfan-based methods as well:

-          Use the modeled capacity (SV-A) and prescribed EER to determine the Total system energy at full capacity.

-          Determine the fan power as specified by the ARI rating procedures (365W/CFM) using the modeled baseline system airflow (SV-A).  This is distinct from Pfan.

-          Subtract the ARI fan energy from the total system energy.  The result is the non-fan energy.

-          Divide this remainder (non-fan energy) by the capacity (SV-A) and adjust/convert as necessary to make the ratio unitless - now you've found cooling EIR.

Interesting to note:  I've learned HAP's baseline automation tools use an ARI-based procedure much like the above, but further tweaks the numbers to account for local design conditions differing from ARI test conditions.  In practice this makes the same baseline system in very hot design conditions like Arizona cool less efficiently than in more temperate design conditions... It took me awhile but I've come to wrap my head around the logic.  Does anybody using eQuest or otherwise doing these baseline calcs "by hand" perform a similar efficiency 'de-rating' in their spreadsheet calcs?

~Nick

[cid:489575314 at 22072009-0ABB]

NICK CATON, P.E.
SENIOR ENGINEER