[Equest-users] DOE2.2 Number of plenum zones on a system

Chris Jones cj at enersave.ca
Thu Aug 9 07:51:00 PDT 2012

You are correct, there is no limit on the number of plenums on a
system.  I took a wizard created model, two floors, 5 PSZ per floor
with a plenum on each system.  I moved all the plenums to a new PVAVS
system with one conditioned zone and the 10 plenums.

This is for my ruleset development - the many to one case where the
many system each have a plenum zone.  With DOE2.1e you could not have
more than 3 plenums on a system.

Re. restrictions - I know DOE2.1e has a number of system types that
do not allow plenums.  I need to read closer.

At 10:13 AM 09/08/2012, you wrote:
>Chris,
>
>That restriction is gone.  Depending on whether you choose ducted or plenum
>return for your system, the eQUEST wizard will either create 1 large plenum
>per floor (I think this is for plenum return but I get them confused), or it
>will create 1 plenum zone per zone -- that is if your floor to floor height
>is >1' higher than your floor to ceiling height on DD wizard screen 2.
>Further, you can define that plenum zone as either unconditioned (if ducted
>return) or plenum (if plenum return).
>
>I am not sure about the system restrictions on having a plenum zone -- as
>far as I am aware all systems could have a plenum.  At the system level the
>restriction would be on what type of return (ducted, direct, plenum).  The
>designation of the space as plenum or unconditioned is of course at the
>loads level.

Christopher Jones, P.Eng.
Suite 1801, 1 Yonge Street
Toronto, ON M5E1W7