[Equest-users] Cambridge direct fired units in warehouse space

Adam Barker ABarker at pemi.com
Thu Aug 9 13:57:47 PDT 2012

Michael,

The weather file is representative of the area, and I did run an auto sized load, which calculated heating and airflow capacities much higher than what was specified (about 3x higher on average off the top of my head).

You raise a good point regarding de-stratification - reduced stratification is another claim the company boasts, as the building is pressurized. The claim to cut ACH due to infiltration in half.  I believe the team is looking into reducing the # of de-stratification fans in response to this.  I searched the forums for how to model de-stratification about 2 weeks ago and came up with a few threads basically hinting that it can't be accurately done.  Does anyone have a different opinion, or know if a way where this can at least be approximated? I want to avoid playing with the infiltration rates as I do not believe that is acceptable for a LEED model (at least here in Canada it isn't). As of now I have not modeled this effect.

The combustion problem is somehow managed through some limited venting, though I can't remember exactly what is going on, which is why I called them 'direct' fired units.

Adam Barker, C.E.T., LEED AP BD+C
Sustainability Project Manager
Provident Energy Management Inc.