[Equest-users] Commercial Foodservice Equipment in Energy Model

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Tue Aug 14 11:24:25 PDT 2012

This is a new resource to me - good find! Here's a brief take:

1.  A googled foodservice definition:  "Idle Rate - The rate of oven energy consumption while it is maintaining or holding at a stabilized operating condition or temperature. Also called standby energy rate."

I would liken such figures to "installed watts" for lights - this figure would represent hourly operating consumption at a steady state.

2. Efficiency figures are something you might utilize if you intend to model (and document) differing process loads for the baseline and proposed models, to claim credit for utilizing high efficiency equipment.  That seems what this resource was built to accommodate.

I don't see anything in this specific excel chart resembling guidance for an operation schedule.  Note for heavy foodservice/kitchen modeling, consult with the mechanical designer to address the process sensible/latent load factors for the energy model (i.e. how much heat is removed from the internals by hoods and such).

NICK CATON, P.E.
SENIOR ENGINEER

Smith & Boucher Engineers
25501 west valley parkway, suite 200