[Equest-users] Huge envelope changes having small affect onenergy savings

Umesh Atre umesh at innovativedesign.net
Thu Aug 23 07:39:22 PDT 2012

Lee,

Your outputs show cooling savings around 13% and heating savings 3.5%.
As others have suggested earlier, you need to take a look at every
end-use separately. The heating consumption in this project is driving
your total energy consumption, as heating represents 55% of your total.
I would take a look at measures that might save your heating energy
consumption.

One thing I noticed is that you are assuming almost 90% occupancy 24/7
in this project. This is not typical of a residential building. Most of
your other schedules (for e.g. heating, lighting, plug loads) follow
similar patterns too. I would take a closer look at these, unless of
course these are intentionally set high.

And I did not see any improvements on the walls or roofs. Just on the
glazing.

Best of luck.