[Equest-users] wall composition and U value

tanyer at metu.edu.tr tanyer at metu.edu.tr
Wed Feb 29 05:57:17 PST 2012

Dear all,

I am trying to find the U value of a wall which is composed of concrete
beams and colums (20%) masonry (60%) and glazing (20%).

I know the U values of the components and I would like to calculate the
average U value for this wall since it is a single entity in eQuest.

Do I need to include the area of the glazing when calculating the total U
value?
0.2 x Ucnct + 0.6 x Umsry + 0.2 x Uglzg

OR, do I have to extrapolate the concrete and the masonry parts as if
covering the glazing part?
0.25 x Ucnct + 0.75 x Umsry

As you know we also define the glazing U value later seperately.

Thanks