[Equest-users] Infiltration & Whole Building air leakage ????

Nathan Miller nathanm at rushingco.com
Wed Feb 8 07:44:17 PST 2012

This is one of those areas where the wizard is still useful. If you input
infiltration in the DD wizard “Building Envelope Constructions” screen, it
will automatically calculate infiltration based on exterior wall area
(I’ve never checked to see if it includes exterior roof in the calculation
as well, but it doesn’t appear so).

Note that 0.4 CFM/SF is not the proper value to input here, because that
is a high static pressure for testing purposes. In my local energy code,
the following conversion factor is given:

If you have already left the wizard, you might want to save another copy
of your project, go back into the wizard to play with the infiltration
rates, and then use the spreadsheet view of Detailed Edit to copy and
paste the infiltration rates the wizard calculates for you. This works
well if you haven’t changed the order of the spaces or added many new
spaces since you left the wizard.

Sincerely,

Nathan Miller, PE, LEED AP BD+C

Mechanical Engineer/Senior Energy Analyst

O 206-285-7100 | D 206-788-4577

 <http://www.rushingco.com/> www.rushingco.com