[Equest-users] wall composition and U value

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Wed Feb 29 15:09:55 PST 2012

Interesting case:  I've modeled exactly as you've described for a very unique existing case where the windows were spray-painted opaque from the inside...

(PS: spray-paint does *not* hold up well over time on exposed glass - file that away as a pretty bad idea)!

Vikram is right:  your approximation including windows would correctly approximate the non-solar heat transfer loads but will fall short when it comes to solar loads, which are usually a big enough deal to warrant actually specifying the windows.  Averaging the non-window constructions is often a very acceptable time-saving measure, especially when the constructions are largely similar.  I would think twice before averaging together constructions with very different properties.

A tip:  if you are going to go through the effort of defining your uvalues separately for each wall construction, it may be worth noting eQuest will tally the net u-value for each construction automatically if you use the layers approach, much like other load calculation software.  I find that as easy as any other method, and you get a weighted construction as icing on the cake ;).

NICK CATON, P.E.
SENIOR ENGINEER

Smith & Boucher Engineers
25501 west valley parkway, suite 200