[Equest-users] Window Shade Control

Jonathan Smith jsmith at csarchpc.com
Mon Jan 9 14:49:47 PST 2012

Hello eQuesters:

I'm looking for feedback on controlling window shades with the command
"MAX-SOLAR-SCH". I'm interested in controlling "movable interior" shades
using this command alone, not in conjunction with the other three
commands (unless this is required, contrary to the eQuest help files).

The window shades are deployed, but not according to the Max Solar
Schedule values I've created. The "Max Solar Annual" schedule I created
has two week types. The "Solar Wk Sch" day (Jan-1 to Apr-30th, and Nov-1
to Dec-31st) specifies a maximum of 400 Btu/h-ft2 and "Max Solar Wk Sch"
day (May-1st to Oct-31st) varies control by time of day as well, with
occupied periods having a value of 50 Btu/h-ft2. Thus, there should be
no deployment of shades during the winter time. However, the hourly
reports indicate that shades are deployed even when solar radiation
incident on the window are below the maximum specified value for the
"Solar Wk Sch" period (winter time).  I have also created schedules for
"SHADING-SCHEDULE", "OPEN-SHADE-SCH", and "VIS-TRANS-SCH", which control
the shade's shading coef, opening probability (1.0), and visible
transmittance when deployed.

MAX-SOLAR-SCH

Below is an excerpt from the hourly report of incident solar (variable
11) and shading device status (variable 23) for one of the windows.

The excerpt below is from January. The first column is incident solar on
the window. The second column is the shading device status.

1.57054

1

20.7817

2

89.8028

2

149.498

2

124.247

2

69.4538

2

37.202

2

1.69439

1

Your experience and feedback is appreciated.

Thank you,

Jonathan R. Smith AIA LEED(r)AP

Architecture | Engineering | Construction Management

C E L E B R A T I N G  2 0  Y E A R S-

40 Beaver Street
Albany, New York 12207
p: 518.463.8068 x214