[Equest-users] How to import 3D model

Adam Barker ABarker at pemi.com
Wed Jan 4 06:12:35 PST 2012

One potential workflow is Revit > Ecotect > eQuest.

If you google exporting Revit to Ecotect there are several videos / step by step instructions to show you what you need to do to prepare the model. It mainly has to do with how you define rooms, which become your thermal zones. However, Ecotect to eQuest I haven't been able to do very successfully. There seems to be some problems with exporting the geometry and zones properly (which is really the major and some would say only benefit). The only thing I was able to import were wall constructions, which I would rather define in eQuest anyways. I haven't been able to find a thorough explanation of what to do in Ecotect to prepare your geometry for eQuest. FYI, Ecotect also exports to gbXML, Energy Plus, Radiance, etc.

Another workflow is Vasari > eQuest. Vasari is an, as of now, free Autodesk program in trial stages that is basically Revit combined with some basic DOE2 based energy modeling capability, really just for comparing different scenarios in early design. In my opinion this software is not ready for creating more complex models as I found creating the zones lacks the flexibility most models would need - The software will automatically create zones based on ASHRAE 90.1 perimeter set backs, 1 per floor, etc. Unless you have an open office plan, this is probably not what you need. You can define your zones manually, but not easily in my opinion. http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/vasari/ - if you're interested.

I've tried to look into this a few times now, and all things considered it seems that importing 3D geometry is not that big of a timesaver compared to the design wizard, if at all. If anyone has experience with these workflows, I would be grateful to hear it.