[Equest-users] How to import 3D model

Greg Collins GCollins at glumac.com
Thu Jan 5 17:01:58 PST 2012

I'd like to jump in and provide a view that's contrary to the popular opinion. Our group does lots of modeling in eQuest, and our typical approach is to create a model geometry in Revit that is based on an architect's Revit model, CAD files, or whatever we're provided. There are several important rules that need to be followed, but it is possible to create a geometrically (hence, thermodynamically) accurate gbXML with Revit, Sketchup, and other 3D modeling tools. We then export the gbXML from Revit and import into Autodesk's Green Building Studio and download the DOE-2 file from there, which can be opened in eQuest.

This process won't be faster than the wizard right away, but once you figure out the rules (there are many resources available), it becomes pretty smooth to create the geometry and import into eQuest. There are some weird things that GBS does that need to be undone once in eQuest - mainly overriding input values - but we've developed other processes to speed this up as well.

It may not be for everybody, but it gets you a very accurate building geometry and can be faster and easier to manipulate complex geometries than within eQuest. And (as somebody already pointed out) you have a gbXML file that can be used in many platforms, and the DOE-2 and EnergyPlus files that GBS creates.

Greg Collins, PE, LEED AP+
Regional Manager
Energy Department

[cid:image003.gif at 01CCCBCB.BC711930]<http://www.glumac.com/>